Websites informing you of the many possibilities the area offers include:
. Tourist Office of the Drôme
. Tourist Office of Vallée de la Drôme (Le Grand Bois is located in this part)
. 32 Sites not to miss: Sites touristiques Drome
Various walking routes pass alongside and nearby Le Grand Bois. Find directions here for walks of all levels.
There are many beautiful walks of various levels in the Drôme, some directly from the Inn, where you can walk in any direction, for different lengths of time. You can even hire a donkey at Tzig’âne in Bourdeaux … nice for kids, (adults too)!
A very special way to explore the Drôme is planning a day trip or multi-day tour with a horse-drawn gypsy caravan and guide from ‘Drôme Roulotte Vacances’, located just 800 metres from Le Grand Bois. An interesting and unique holiday idea would be a combination of a stay at Le Grand Bois and a gypsy caravan circuit enjoying the Drôme countryside!
The Huguenot Trail
The Huguenots Trail traverses France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany. This historic path runs right in front of Le Grand Bois.
Walk Poët Celard – circular walk via Le Grand Bois and Le Poët Celard, partly over the traditional Hugenotenpad. A fairly easy route of 3 hours.
Easy short walks on accessible trails.
- les-anciennes-fermes – 1,45 hrs (Foret de Saoû)
- le-tour-du-mont-carmel-juin14 – 1,5 hrs (Pays de Dieulefit)
- le-deves-juin14 – 1,5 hrs (Pays de Dieulefit)
- huguenots – 1 hrs (Foret de Saoû)
These moderate hikes are pretty light and suitable for all ages.
- muletiers – 2h30 (Forȇt de Saoû)
- marateste – 3h (Chattilon-en-Diois)
- les-forets-d-aleyrac – 3h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- les-cretes-de-la-sarcena – 2h45 (Valdrome)
- les-collines-d-orcinas – 3h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- les-clos – 2h (Forȇt de Saoû)
- les-balcons-de-briesse-juin14 – 2h (Pays de Dieulefit)
- le-plateau-de-briesse-juin14 – 2h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- la-montagne-de-sainte-euphemie-juin14 2h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- la-montagne-de-dieu-grace – 2h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- la-montagne-d-eson – 2h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- la-draille-des-chevres-juin14 – 2h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- cols-marot-et-imbert – 3h (Pays de Dieulefit)
- col-de-vesc-cime-des-ventes – 4h (Pays de Dieulefit)
- carnets-d-archiane – 2h30 (Chattilon-en-Diois)
- architecture-paysages-et-activit-s-humaines – 2h30 (Lus-la-Jarjatte
This difficult hike is suitable for people in a good condition.
pomerolle – 5h (Forȇt de Saoû)
Challenging hikes along mountain ridges and rocks.
- pre-de-l-ane 6h (Forȇt de Saoû)
- les-cretes-de-tarsimoure 5h (Valdrome)
- les-chatelards – 6h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- les-aiguilles 6h (of variant van 4h) (Pays de Remuzat)
- le-trou-du-furet – 3h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- le-tour-de-montmirail – 5h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- le-roc – 4h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- le-pennard – 5h30 (Pays de Dieulefit)
- le-col-de-staton – 5h30 (Pays de Remuzat)
- la-pointe-feuillette – 6h (Lus-la-Jarjatte)
2. Outdoor Sports
The surrounding forests, hills, rivers and jagged ridges offer endless outdoor sports possibilities, and it’s all there, to be explored, be it by gliding, kayacking, horse riding or rock climbing.
The number of nearby trails and winding roads are ideal for an active exploration. From a walk in the woods around the campsite, to a climb of one of the jagged ridges, to swimming in crystal clear natural water, to parapenting … we can show you a number of options.
With almost 100 mountain passes and 3000 km of slopes, spread across a varied landscape, the Drôme is THE region for lovers of cycling and mountain biking.
Cycle paths and MTB routes and circuits of different levels are available at Le Grand Bois, as well as information about bike rental in the area.
Kayak / Raft / SUP
Climbing / Via Ferrata
Mountainbike & Trailrunning
3. Fun for kids
For kids of all ages, the Drôme offers many activities, be it animal parks, adventure forests, or other special locations.
- Butterfly farm in Die
- Crocodile farm in Pierrelatte
- Vultures in Remuzat
- Birds park in Chabrillan
- Tropical Aquarium in Allex
- Miniature Provencal village in Grignan
- Fossils La Sablière in Reauville
- World of Goblins in Hostun
- Eureka – construction workshop in the castle of Poët Célard (English explanation)
4. Villages & Towns
Near Le Grand Bois there are many special villages and towns to be discovered.
Picturesque villages and old towns breathe the traditional French rural life.
- The largest fortress Tower of France in Crest
- Les villages perchés, perched villages such as Poët Laval
- Dieulefit, pottery village and nice week market
- Montélimar, city of noga
- Avignon with the famous pont d’Avignon and Palais des Papes
- Die, known for the aperitif wine Clairette de Die
- Mirmande, medieval village with many workshops
- The dream Palace of Postman Cheval in Hauterives
5. Local Produce
In the area, many of the special local products can be tasted, such as ‘Picodon’, goat cheese from Dieulefit and various local wines.
Shops with local produce
At these shops you can buy organic products from the region.
Fresh from the land: farm shops
Different farms in the Drôme also welcome you for a tour. You can find products like goat’s cheese, meat, fruit and wine.
These shops and farms offer local organic produce as well as general foods
A list of local week markets
6. History & Culture
The environment of Le Grand Bois is rich in history and culture.
Wander through castles, admire fossils (or find them yourself!), or view the céramiques, what the area is known for.